Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I am NOT a Resolutions Guy!

I used to be that guy. You know...the one who used to make a bunch of resolutions and then just as quickly as they were made toss them aside. (However, resolutions aren't necessarily bad-as Joe Thorn explains)

It was a few years ago that I got sick of that. I always started my year out feeling like a failure. This is a bad way to set the tone for a year. It often wasn't until March or April that I got out of my failure funk and felt like I could have a productive year. What a waste of three month!

I refuse to wallow in self-pity any longer. Instead, I take advantage of my "new" year and realize where I fell short in the previous year (and what lessons were learned) and what goals I want to make for the coming year.

In 2011, I learned the following lessons:

  • Having the title of pastor does not help you pastor your people well
  • Be careful what you pray for. God may actually give it to you.
  • It is better to be accused of being something than to sin trying to defend yourself.
  • I am not as wonderful as I think I am; but I am loved far more than I believe I am
In 2012, I will make the following goals:

  • To strive to be empathetic to those whom I serve
  • To lose 50-80 pounds (mostly because I realize my obesity is because of lack of self control)
  • To regularly spend time with just my family (including the goal of pastoring them well)
  • To spend my time with God well, doing more listening than talking. (in order to discern His will)
What did you learn in 2011? What goals are you making for 2012?

No comments: