Friday, January 7, 2011

When Yes Means No

Sitting here pondering the events in the lives of ones whom I love dearly and my schedule for the upcoming year and realizing that I need to be very consitent and orderly with the right priorities to make sure that I accomplish everything that I have responsibility for.

One of the most influential things I read last year was a series of blogs titled Biblical Productivity by C.J. Mahaney. Something that truly stuck out to me in these series of posts was the truth that when I say yes to doing something I am saying no to doing something else.

Those who know me best know that I have a hard time saying no. There are many reasons for this:
I want to be helpful.
Sometimes I feel like I have to be helpful because I am a pastor.
I am skilled and competent in lots of different areas of service so it is easy to help in lots of things.

So when someone asks for help I used to say most certainly yes.

But I have become convicted that saying yes isn't always the best choice of my time. I can only play so many roles so I have (upon the advice of Mahaney) limited my roles to 5. Here they are in order of importance:
1. Christian (this includes devoting time to spiritual disciplines and growth because I fully believe that if I am not growing that I cannot help others grow)
2. Husband
3. Father
4. Pastor/Church Leader
5. Friend

I encourage you to read these blog posts from Mahaney during the upcoming months and to change your life accordingly. You will not be disappointed.

No comments: